Friday, September 21, 2012

Welcome to the Baseball Eras Blog

I have always loved reading, studying, watching and talking baseball.  Everything about it.  The details, the theories, the history and the characters of the past.  Some of my closest friends can tell you that there is nothing that gets me more excited than a question that starts with: "If you were the manager, what would you do in this situation...?"

When I made my marriage vows, I promised my wife that I would keep my boring baseball rants to a minimum.  I've done my best to keep this promise, however, it has led to way too much pent up baseball talk that needs to come out. 

A few days ago I thought it might be nice to start a blog to get the pent up baseball out of my system but I was on the fence on whether or not it would be a good idea.  My biggest concern was this:  are my ideas really that important that they need to be blasted out to the universe.  Of course, the answer is no.  My ideas are not that important and quite likely not even the most unique but I'll give them to you anyways.

After debating the pros and cons of this idea I decided to get an idea of how many people would actually read this.  Amazingly I had several people tell me that they would be very interested in reading it.  I still wasn't sure I wanted to do the blog until I got a text from a great friend asking me "what would you do if...?".  His second text message said: "There's your first blog.  Let me know when you post it."

In the posts to follow I will be giving interesting stories from the history of the game and comparing them to the game today.  You will see posts providing team histories, player histories, comparisons of players between eras and, of course, answers to questions of "what would you do if...?"

I welcome all comments (as long as they are constructive, polite and family appropriate) and look forward to any questions you have.  If I mention something in one blog that you would like more information on or if you think something needs more details please email me at baseballeras (at) gmail (dot) com.

Thanks for your support and Play Ball!

7 comments:

  1. This is cool! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY MIKE, You and my Husband would get along great. He is the same with Baseball, and really any sport. I can't wait to show him more of your blog!

    <3 Ari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Mike on the blog. I'm glad you're doing what you love. Now that the first step has been taken, the rest is that much easier.

    Look forward to reading and watching the site flourish.

    jth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to everyone for the support.

      Ari - I hope you and your husband enjoy and please spread the word to anyone you know who enjoys baseball.

      JTH- Thanks for the support and the push to get this thing started. Couldn't have done it without you.

      Delete
  4. Yay! I'm glad you decided to do a blog. It's fun to write about something you love! :) We like baseball too so we'll be following along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neri. I appreciate the support. I'll try to do an Angels story soon just for you two.

      Delete

Have questions about something in this or a former post? Have a suggestion for a future post? Want more information on a specific team, player, season or game? I welcome the feedback, so feel free to leave a comment in the box or email me at baseballeras (at) gmail (dot) com.